Information for Applicants with Non-U.S. Degrees

How to apply for a certification that requires a college degree when your degree comes from a university outside the U.S.

Application with a Non-U.S. Degree

Meeting Minimum Educational Requirements for ASP and CSP Certifications

Per the accreditation requirements of ANSI/ISO/IEC 17024, BCSP’s Associate Safety Professional® (ASP) and Certified Safety Professional® (CSP) certifications require holding a degree from an accredited college or university recognized by the U.S. Department of Education or the Council of Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA). Academic degrees obtained from a college or university outside the United States or not recognized by CHEA must be evaluated for US equivalency. Meeting the ASP or CSP’s other prerequisites does not exempt the applicant from the educational requirement.

Candidates must meet all the following requirements when applying for the ASP and CSP certifications:

  1. Meet the experience requirement for the ASP certification, which is 1 year of safety experience where safety is at least 50%, preventative, at a professional level of safety duties.
  2. Meet the experience requirement for the CSP certification, which is 4 years of safety experience where safety is at least 50%, preventative, at a professional level of safety duties, and submit proof of holding any of the following BCSP approved credentials:

    • Associate Safety Professional (ASP)
    • Graduate Safety Practitioner (GSP)
    • Transitional Safety Practitioner (TSP)
    • Certified Industrial Hygienist® (CIH®)
    • Chartered Member of the Institution of Occupational Safety and Health (CMIOSH)
    • Canadian Registered Safety Professional (CRSP)
    • CP-12 Professional Certificate in Safety and Occupational Health, U.S. Army Combat Readiness Center (ACRC)
    • Certified Safety Engineer (CSE), as administered by the State Administration of Work Safety (SAWS), People's Republic of China (PRC)
    • Master in Occupational Safety and Health, International Training Centre of the International Labour Organization (ITC-ILO)
    • Member in the Institute of Safety Professionals of Nigeria (MISPN)
    • NEBOSH National or International Diploma in Occupational Health and Safety
    • Professional Member of the Singapore Institution of Safety Officers (SISO)
    • Diploma/Certificate in Industrial Safety, as issued by the State Government Departments/Boards of Technical Education, Government of India

  3. The ASP requires applicants have the US equivalency of either a bachelor’s degree in any field or an associate degree in safety, health, or the environment that meets requirements as described on its webpage. The CSP requires the minimum of a bachelor's degree. BCSP will accept a non-US 3-year bachelor degree from a recognized academic institution.

International Degree Evaluation

BCSP requires that all degrees from colleges and universities outside the United States be evaluated for US equivalency. You must have your degree evaluated by a member of the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services (NACES®). To complete the evaluation process, contact any one of the agencies listed on the NACES website,

How to Have Your Degree Evaluated by a NACES Member Agency

  1. Select a member agency from a current member listed on the NACES website;
    • Contact a NACES member for information on price, transcript submission rules, processing time, and other considerations that would help you determine which service is right for you.
  2.  Request the following type of evaluation: “general”, “basic”, or a “document by document”.
    • A “course by course” evaluation is not necessary. However, it is always best to confirm with the NACES member you choose to work with to determine which type of evaluation you should choose. 
  3. The price of service and documents required will vary depending on the NACES member you choose. The cost of your academic evaluation is not covered by the BCSP application fee. 
  4. You will be given instructions on what documents need to be sent and how to submit them. NACES members vary in their requirements. Some require original documents, some require only copies. Some NACES members require a copy of your transcript be sent in a sealed envelope from the university. Be sure you understand the document submission requirements from the NACES member you choose. 
  5.  You must request to have your official degree evaluation sent directly to BCSP. Make sure your evaluation contains the name that is on your government issued ID.  
  6. Your degree evaluation will be matched to your application once it arrives. The amount of time required for an evaluation varies by NACES member. They can provide you with an idea of their timeline.

Once your evaluation report confirms you meet the minimum academic requirement, you may submit your ASP or CSP application online. You will do this by logging in to My Profile and choosing the tab, “Apply for Certification”. When your application and academic evaluation are received by BCSP, they will be reviewed and you will be notified of your eligibility to sit for the examination.